5 | North Korea's First DJ
On this episode:
We get straight into it with Brian Offenther. He was the first person to DJ in North Korea, handles Mongolia's largest festival, Rock Nadaam, DJ's all over the city, films, beer festivals, the list goes on and on. Brian is a man of 1000 hats and he sits down with us to discuss:
- How he chose the name DJ B.O.
- Where his eclectic taste in music came from
- How he came to manage the only Mongolian Elvis impersonator: Nargie Presley
- How he became Shanghai's Number 2 DJ behind DJ Spenny
- Whether or not the music scene in Shanghai can hold up against cities like Beijing
- A SHANGHAI SHOW EXCLUSIVE: Brian is bringing Little Jewford (band leader of Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys)
- How he became the first DJ in North Korea
- The Fuck Cancer/Fuck City Weekend campaign that happened a few years ago
- His recommendations for Deep Cut Music:
- Esquerita - The Dew Drop In
- We play Push the Button and much more more!
Recommendations for the Week: Sup' Bro - Water Proofing Spray, Kung Fu Komedy Showcase on Friday, Phantom of the Opera (silent version with live piano) at The Apartment on Sunday, 30th, Yuyingtang's amazing cover show on Saturday.
Enjoy some of DJ B.O. at Rock Nadaam in Mongolia